Major financial benefits come with going solar. The monthly electricity bill is decreased even as the home’s value increases. Federal tax credits can reduce the net cost by over 30%. With all the good news, solar is still a big investment and sticker shock may result.
With a plethora of providers such as Northwest Mechanical, homeowners are thinking about DIY and looking at the pros and cons before deciding:
Most solar kits for home use are designed for off-grid use. “Off-grid” means they can’t be used while still connected to the utility.
An average homeowner finds going off-grid is not usually in their best interest, especially true if the home solar equipment doesn’t make enough electricity to meet needs, all day, every day of the year.
The home kits can be a good answer if someone is not trying to electrify their whole home. Boats, recreational vehicles and even sheds and small houses present the chance to explore DIY solar.
The DIY kits can also be useful to power an outlying area on a large area. Powering a barn or outdoor lighting require a low amount of electricity. Buying a small home solar kit and going DIY on installation is doable.
Installation can be complicated, and homemade electricity requires training and experience. “You get what you pay for” is good to remember when buying solar panels. While a home solar package can be less expensive than professional installers, finding someone who knows what they are doing can save time and money.
For Most Projects, Find An Installer
|Find Home Solar Services|
|top-rated, pre-screened local contractors|
|FREE: download contractor selection|
|enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™|
Some of the est installers have been around for decades. They have experienced which no amount of research or DIY guides can match.
Each state requires installers to be licensed and qualified. Independent certifications like that awarded by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners help ensure the company you choose is intimately familiar with the procedure.
The solar installer you choose may also help acquire, complete and file all necessary permits and applications. The local utility will not let a homeowner connect to the grid without approval from a certified electrician.
Tips To Buy Solar
Homeowners can save 10-percent or more by getting multiple quotes. Shopping for installation requires research and thinking through the companies servicing a specific area. The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Lab recently published a report recommending consumers comparison shop.
To locate smaller companies which regularly offer cheaper prices, an installer network like EnergyState is a valuable source. Register your property on their Solar Marketplace and local, vetted installers can be found. The consortium offers a discount between $5K and $10K for homeowners who get 3 or more quotes.
Image Credit: Pixabay
nice post? … share it!
- Adjustable, Corrosion-Resistant aluminum stand as well as a heavy duty handle and latches for longevity. Folded size:...
- Compatible with gel, sealed, Lithium, and flooded batteries. Charge controller with LCD display for displaying operating...
- Includes 100W Solar Panel + 30A PWM Negative ground Charge Controller + MC4 Connectors +8Ft 10AWG Tray Cable+ Mounting Z...
- Monocrystalline solar cell efficiency: 21%；The Charge controller has been upgraded to Renogy new 30A PWM negative...
- Basic component for off-grid solar panel system, caravan, RV, boat, Green house solar panel system
- High efficiency 100 Watt Solar Panel with high quality frame, have excellent performance in harsh weather
- 1.The kit Includes: 2pcs 100W Solar Panel (Grade A solar cell )+ 20A PWM Solar Charge Controller + a pair of 10ft solar...
- 2.Solar controller: 20A output controller with 2 USB ports, PWM charge management,12V/24V system auto-sensing, LCD...
- Designed For Most Portable Power Station: The DC 19V output for charging portable power station generator, compatible...
- USB Smart Charging Technology: Dual USB Ports QC3.0 & 2.0 (5V/9V/12V 2A max), Designed for smartphones and tablets...
Last update on 2020-07-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API