You understandably want to maximize the lifespan of your equipment while keeping energy costs as low as possible. By understanding common mistakes that people make when using their AC unit, you may maximize the benefits of your air conditioner while reducing overall costs.
Expensive Pitfalls to Avoid
When your AC runs more frequently or for longer stretches of time than it needs to, it wastes energy unnecessarily. Additional wear and tear will also impact the condition of your air conditioner.
You understandably want to keep your AC unit maintained in great condition, and there are several ways to work toward this goal effectively.
1. Choosing the Wrong Size of Equipment
When the time comes to replace your air conditioner, you can select from a range of sizes. Some people believe that investing in a larger and more expensive unit may mean that the air conditioner will need to work less than it otherwise would need to if a smaller unit was installed.
However, a larger unit uses more energy than a smaller unit does. For superior AC performance, select equipment size that is in line with your home’s age and size. Your HVAC technician may provide guidance in this area.
2. Improperly Programming Thermostat Settings
A programmable thermostat enables you to adjust the temperature in your home automatically at various times of the day. However, some people maintain the same temperature setting all day and night. Many people enjoy a cooler home at night while they are sleeping, and they may be gone from the home for long periods of time throughout the day.
Programming temperature settings so that the air conditioner uses less energy while you are away from the home is an excellent way to save money and to reduce unnecessary wear on your system.
3. Failing to Maintain Steady Thermostat Settings
While adjusting your thermostat settings within reason is a smart way to moderate usage, some people adjust settings much lower or higher than desired in order to generate fast temperature change results.
For example, if you have been out of the home for a few hours with the AC unit turned off, you may plunge the thermostat setting down much lower than desired in order to cool the home off faster. This is usually not cost-effective, and it creates unnecessary strain on your equipment. Being patient as your AC brings the home’s temperature down is a better idea.
4. Skipping Over Routine Maintenance
For superior AC performance, your equipment should be properly maintained through annual service. This professional service identifies and replaces worn out components, and it also cleans the equipment, replenishes fluid levels and more. These are all essential steps for superior care of your air conditioner equipment.
5. Leaving Doors and Windows Open
Find Home Cooling Services Air Conditioning Cooling Fans Thermostats top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
Opening doors and windows to allow fresh air into the home is common. In some cases, doors may remain open for longer than necessary as a matter of convenience, such as when you are bringing groceries into the home.
This unnecessarily allows warm air into the home, and it can also increase indoor humidity levels. The air conditioner must then work harder to restore a desired indoor climate.
6. Not Replacing the Air Filter Regularly
Air filters serve the important purpose of removing fine particles and debris from the air. Your AC pushes air through the air filter, and this becomes increasingly difficult to do as the air filter gets dirtier. Replacing the air filter regularly ensures that your air conditioner can do its job as efficiently as possible at all times.
AC usage and maintenance mistakes are common, and they can be detrimental to your air conditioner’s energy efficiency, overall condition and longevity. Now that you are aware of some of the more common mistakes that people make with their air conditioning equipment, you can take effective steps to avoid these mistakes and to maximize the benefits that your AC equipment provides.
other valuable readings:
Image Credit: Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
- QUIET & POWERFUL - Our 10,000 BTU compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all...
- PERFECT FOR SMALL ROOMS - This floor-standing portable AC unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms 150 -...
- QUIET & POWERFUL - Our 8,000 BTU compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all...
- PERFECT FOR SMALL ROOMS - This floor-standing portable AC unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms up to...
- Dimensions: 14.6’’ L x 13.8’’ W x 27.2’’ H | Weight: 53.02 lbs
- Your purchase includes: Portable Air Conditioner, Window Mount Kit, Quick Setup Guide, Remote Control (batteries not...
- ✅【KEEP COOL】- Compact 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Unit Delivers Fast, Effective Cooling for Spaces Up to...
- ✅【MULTI-FUNCTION MODES】- 3 functions in one machine. Air conditioner cools your room quickly; 2-speed fan...
- Powerful, safe & dependable cools rooms up to 550-700 sq. ft. Thermal overload protection & Dual filtration system for...
- Easy install & maintenance washable filter designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance....
Last update on 2020-07-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API