So, whether you are planning to put your home on the market or throw in a few upgrades to enhance your experience, making it energy efficient is the first thing to start with.
How to go about it?
Here are five simple home tweaks you can do on the fly to save up to 10% on annual energy bills.
1. Let the Sun Shine Into Your Home
A small home improvement project, like installing a skylight, can return the investment in terms of bigger savings. A skylight lets the natural light in, eliminating the dependency on light bulbs during the daytime.
In colder regions, a skylight can be a source of warmth as well, which means your central heating unit doesn’t have to work hard all day to keep your interiors warm. Besides, during warmer months, you can leave the glass lid open to ensure proper air circulation.
2. Doors and Windows
Better insulation helps in making your home interiors warm without putting much load on the heating unit. Start with revamping your doors and windows. If you have aluminum windows, flip them for wooden or vinyl frames to minimize heat transfer. To further reduce the heat transfer, use double glazed window panes, which might be costlier than ordinary glass but they are worth every penny spent.
During summers, tinted windows help keep the heat out and minimize glare to keep your interiors cool and pleasant. It’s also a perfect way to maintain privacy.
3. Upgrade Appliances
Older appliances tend to lose efficiency over time and lead to higher energy bills. As they get older, not only do they increase carbon emissions but also become a safety hazard which can cause a life-threatening accident.
One way to go about it is replacing your old water heater with a tankless model to save both water and electricity, as the latter will fire up and deliver water on demand. When you buy a new appliance, look for the ones that are Energy Star certified.
Find Handyman Services (opens new win) Handyman Carpentry Electrical Plumbing top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
Did you know the way your plumbing system is installed determines your water bills? And the good news is you can change how it works. Simply installing low-flow bathroom and kitchen fixtures can reduce water wastage, letting you save from day 1.
When upgrading your plumbing system, consider getting it inspected for Radon, a radioactive, odorless gas that can enter your home via your plumbing system. Radon inspection is a must if you live in a Radon-affected area.
other valuable readings:
5. Duct Maintenance
A duct system runs behind the ceilings, floors and walls and carries hot or cold air throughout the building. A small leakage in the duct directly translates into energy losses and higher bills. Therefore, it pays to have your ducts inspected bi-annually.
Following these tips will help you create an abode that saves money and reduces carbon footprints.
Image Credit: Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
- Includes integrated light kit that is cased in elegant White Finish
- Designed for large rooms up to 400 sq. Feet and equipped with installer's choice position mounting system for standard,...
- 110v electric 16" inch portable hanging mini ceiling fan with 3 blades
- Weights less than one pound, it can be easily transported and hung up in many locations where a traditional larger fan...
- Brand new model and design makes this name brand ceiling fan stand alone. With its sleek mid-body layout, this fan has a...
- The 44-in Mazon fan combines modern style and performance in compact package. The Mazon fan is perfect for small room...
- FAIRLY QUITE WITH A LOT OF AIR, get the cooling power you want without the noise
- BLADE SWEEP DIAMETER OF 28"Inches durable materials, fan blade can bend, compression
- Oil-rubbed bronze finish ceiling fan from the Valdosta collection features 3 cinnamon finish blades
- Indoor/outdoor design is ETL listed for safe use in wet locations, so you can cool down greenhouses, patios and porches
Last update on 2019-06-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API