Human beings start aging the moment they are born, that is simply human nature. In the final stages of maturity, be it as a result of diabetes, dementia or simply growing old; our once strong and robust parents/guardians/relatives eventually reach a time in their lives where they will need to rely on someone else to help take care of them.
Everyone ages in their own unique way, hence taking care of our elderly involves unique considerations. But the main idea is as we love and care for our elderly, we all face a common challenge of adapting our homes so that our elderly can live comfortably.
When preparing to care for your elderly, certain modifications are necessary in the modern houses we live in nowadays. In modern society, most people have established their families in apartments that have numerous narrow staircases.
If living in one of those 3rd floored guest-2-bedroomed houses/apartments; consider the safety checklist below which will help familiarize your urban home to a senior-friendly home.
The entrances are factor that should be considered first and foremost as your elderly will definitely use the main entrance to access the safe haven you have created for them in your home. The minor but quite important adjustments that should be done on the main entrance, include;
- Installing safety rails, which mainly comprise of chair railings, best suited for the unique nature of your main entrance. A threshold ramp is equally as important as such adjustments make it easier for your elderly to enter and leave the house. PS: safety rails and ramps should also be installed in the rear entrances or back doors.
The elderly are, more often than not, feeble and unstable in terms of posture or holding their weight. However they are still adults who still need privacy when it comes to the restroom affair. If your elderly are strong enough to privately use the bathroom/washroom or take themselves to bed, these are the adjustments to be made;
- Fix toilet and bath safety rails in the washrooms for the elderly to use as extra support while privately using these rooms. Washrooms are usually highly susceptible to slippery floors due to the constant presence of eater, thus the importance of mounting safety rails. Such rails prevent life threatening tripping, slip ups or losing of balance due to the normal nature of these rooms.
- Install bed safety rails that will help prevent your elderly from falling off the bed. These safety rails also assist your elderly to mount themselves on the beds, avoiding occurrences of slipping or losing grip on the soft beddings or mattresses. The bed safety rails also assist the elderly whenever they need help in changing positions while on their beds
One should highly consider taking good care of their elderly parents/grandparents/guardians or relatives if they have the capabilities of doing so.
Before you make that decision of sending your elderly to the retirement community to live out the rest of their days consuming Jell-O by the gallons, watching boring daytime television etc., see yourself in that retirement community when you eventually grow old to the point you can’t take care of yourself.
Even though the modern planned living communities are not as bad, take in your elderly to your self-made dream home if you have the financial capabilities to mount a few safety rails.
How a Stair Lift Works on Straight Stairways
- Handles are adjustable and rotate back to allow a wide range of comfortable and secure positions
- Toilet rail with closed cell foam armrests provide a comfortable, secure grip | Great for elderly or adults post surgery
- Closed cell foam armrests provide a comfortable, sure grip
- Adjustable height 26"-31" (66-74cm) accommodates standard or elevated toilet seats
- Stainless steel construction
- Supports up to 500 Lbs.
Last update on 2020-07-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API