What to know about Perennial Flowers –
- Perennial flowering plants can can last for many years in your garden. They will bloom, seed, and then lie dormant during the winter. Perennials will then come back year after year and repeat the blooming cycle until they reach maturity, which can vary by plant.
- The blooms on perennial plants do not last long – usually from 2-3 weeks. You can find perennial varieties that can bloom for longer during the growing season.
- INFO: extremely long perennial bloomers
- For landscaping purposes, you need to understand the timing of the blooming season. You can design a perennial garden with varying plants that bloom at different times to give you full color during the growing season.
- Or you can intermingle perennials and annuals to maximize full garden color.
- INFO: how to create a four-season garden
- Perennials can be planted by seed, bulbs, or live plants. If by seed, it’s best to start the planting indoors for a base plant to be transferred outside when weather considerations permit. If by bulb, they can be planted in early spring for summer blooms.
- The more mature the plant the better for maximum growth and blooms. Note that some perennial bulbs may need to be dug up and stored during the winter – hard winter freezes can kill many perennial bulbs.
- INFO: how to grow perennials
- Key elements for selecting perennials:
light requirements (sunny/part-sun) – height (low vs. high) – blooming time – maintenance (disease, insects, etc.) – propagation (division, seeding)
INFO: view growing zones
tips for designing perennial beds and borders
- What comments can you share?
AchilleaAsterBaby’s BreathButterfly BushCampanulaCarnationChrysanthemumClematisColumbineCoreopsisDaisyDayliliesDelphiniumDianthusEchinaceaFoxgloveGaillardiaHibiscusHollyhocksHydrangeaLavenderLilyLobeliaMonardaMumsMixed DaisyPhloxPoppyRoseRudbeckiaSalviaScabiosaShasta Daisy
links open new win
or simply search by entering perennial flower name or other gardening need
Find Landscaping/Maintenance Landscape Design Landscape Maintenance Pest Control Sprinkler Systems Tree & Shrubs Water Features top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
other related garden landscaping:
Cover image credit: landscaping with perennial flowers by Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.