What to know about cosmos –
perennial and/or annual plants growing 0.3–2 m (1 ft 0 in–6 ft 7 in) tall. The leaves are simple, pinnate, or bipinnate, and arranged in opposite pairs. The flowers are produced in a capitulum with a ring of broad ray florets and a center of disc florets.
- The flower color is very variable between the different species. So you can find any mix that will compliment your garden.
- REFERENCE: information lifted from wikipedia
INFO: varied types of cosmo flowers
Where to Grow:
Annual cosmos can grow in just about any growing zone. They are very hardy and perform will in poor soil.
- The annual type will bloom all summer long with daisy-like flowers in various colors, including pink, orange, red and yellow, white, and maroon.
- They grow to about 5-6 feet in height with thin stems and can attract butterflies, birds, and bees.
- INFO: How to Plant, Grow, and Care for Cosmos Flowers
INFO: 9 Reasons You Should Grow Cosmos Flowers
Cosmos grow high – similar to the daisy – with thin stems with flower at top. Cosmos are best as background flowers with other medium and low-lying plants up front.
- They would look nice is a grassy field area – along fences and structures – rock gardens – intermingled among ornamental grasses – and in garden beds as a background.
- Cosmos need to be watered regularly with good drainage. They can survive is dry conditions and in hot, humid weather. They are an overall hardy flower for just about any garden design.
- IMAGES: cosmos flower garden design
IMAGES: cosmos used in rock garden
- IMAGES: cosmos flower colors
IMAGES: cosmos used in containers
- INFO: The best cosmos to grow
INFO: Eight plants to grow with cosmos
Care and Harvesting:
Annual cosmos will bloom and grow all season long. They need to be watered regularly with good drainage. Cosmos can also survive drought conditions as well as hot, humid conditions.
- You can harvest the seed once the cosmo flower dies. Seeds can dried through the winter for spring planting.
- Cosmos is also known as a herbal remedy. It has topical properties that have been used to inflammation, eczema and other antiviral properties.
- YOUTUBE: how to harvest cosmos seed
YOUTUBE: HOW TO GROW COSMOS FROM SEED
INFO: cosmos medicine
Soil: dry, sandy
Height: 1-3 feet (annual), 3-8 feet (perennial)
Width: 12-24 inches depending on type
Flower: red, orange, white, pink, yellow
Season: summer blooms, fall blooms
Features: good for containers, attracts butterflys, cut flowers
Benefits: drought tolerant
INFO: view growing zones
- What comments can you share?
or simply search by entering annual flower name or other remodeling need
Find Landscaping/Maintenance Landscape Design Landscape Maintenance Pest Control Sprinkler Systems Tree & Shrubs Water Features top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
other related garden landscaping:
Cover image credit: cosmo garden by Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.