On the other end you have modular kitchen cabinets with customized design that suit your taste and decor. For installing this, your local dealer takes the measurements, cabinets are manufactured in a factory and the units are assembled to give your kitchen an aesthetic look.
Wood, Particle Board or Plywood
Cost of the kitchen cabinets depends on whether you buy readymade products or opt for customized cabinets for your kitchens. It also depends on the materials used by kitchen cabinet makers to make the cabinets.
You have choices of birch, oak, hickory, cherry and maple, each with its distinctive grain and coloring. If you opt for natural lumber, you will want cabinets that are finished with natural varnish to bring out the beauty and texture of wood. The downside is that natural lumber is expensive, requires expensive processing and can have defects such as knots.
- Particle Board:
Kitchen cabinet makers use particle boards cut to size and stapled together in a fast production process. The boards may be painted over or laminated. This type of kitchen cabinet has a rather square and angular look. Particle boards are not durable and can come apart.
Plywood is economical and durable provided the right grade (boiling water proof grade) is used and the kitchen cabinet manufacturer uses the tongue and groove or dovetail method of fitting rather than nailing the boards together. Veneered plywood can have a clear resin finish to give the appearance of textured natural wood.
|view types kitchen base cabinets|
Precision and Tolerances
- Quality kitchen cabinet manufacturers will pre-treat wood or plywood to make them termite resistant as well as resistant to moisture that can cause swelling and deformation.
- Each panel is cut to precise dimensional tolerances and put together with precision to ensure there are no gaps while factoring in expansion and contraction due to temperature and moisture.
- Ergonomics is another factor to consider and this depends on design as well as engineering capabilities of the cabinet maker.
|view types kitchen base cabinets|
Hardware and Accessories
- Drawer slides are important as it is easy to open and close drawers without any hassle. Ideally these should have ball bearings and should be the full extension type.
- Knobs and handles are better suited for your cabinets than the grooved type. Quality accessories with superior finish will aid functionality and add to the looks.
Finish is one area where manufacturers may tend to compromise because it can be expensive and time consuming.
- In case of plywood or lumber, sanding all parts before fitting together is vital.
- Sanding is followed by application of toner, stain, UV sealer followed by a topcoat of resin varnish such as melamine or polyurethane. This is of importance if you are opting for wood cabinets with the natural look.
- Plywood and particle board cabinets can have laminations. This can be decorative laminate sheet glued to the board or a vinyl laminate hot pressed into place.
- In case you opt for cabinets with curved edges then laminating may be difficult in which case paint gives a better, harmonized look. Here NC lacquers give a good water and stain resistant finish.
Finally, the kitchen cabinet maker you should choose is one who is flexible and gives you color match services along with helpful after care materials and kits to keep your cabinets in pristine condition.
|view types pantry cabinets|
- 1-1/4 inch (32 millimeter) Diameter MushroomKnob
- Finished in Satin Nickel
- STRONG DURABLE DESIGN & ELEGANT SATIN NICKEL FINISH make these kitchen cabinet knobs a long lasting, beautiful addition...
- INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED to protect against scratches.
- Whether you are adding new appliances to your kitchen, remodeling your cabinets, or installing new faucets and shower...
- Satin nickel finish is a classic compliment to brushed nickel appliances and decorative accents
Last update on 2019-06-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API