Illuminated flooring is something most people associate with dance floors, warehouses, exhibition spaces and aeroplanes. LED lighting offers the possibility of creating a spectacular illuminated floor in any part of the home.
Mats and carpets
Illuminated floor mats and rugs are some of the quickest and most economic method of using LED lights for floor decoration. Lights within a durable and translucent plastic tube are woven into the interior of the mat. These give a subtle effect when switched on and the whole package is hard wearing enough for people to walk over.
These illuminated mats work well in both interior and exterior doorways. LED lights fixed on the surface of the mat or carpet give a more spectacular effect and can illuminate walls, furniture and architectural features from the floor up.
Skirting boards and stairs
LED socket lights and spotlights can be attached to a skirting board or inserted into holes cut within it, to give a beautiful ambient effect across a polished floor, stone or even carpet. The lights may be spaced equally or in a pattern that matches other features in the room.
The intensity and colours of the beams can be adjusted with LED light controllers attached to a wall or from a remote device. Some installations allow the beam’s direction to be moved over 30 to 70 degrees and to throw light against a wall for another ambient effect.
- Strip LEDs placed on top of the skirting or at the join of the skirting board and floor can define the shape of the room and give a futuristic effect.
- A further adaptation is to install strip LEDs around the base of kitchen islands and other self standing furniture in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Walkover LEDs provide a low profile, recessed and permanently installed floor lighting that can help in marking, orientation and safety on stairs as well as providing an ambient effect across carpet and stone as well as wood or laminate flooring.
Translucent panels offer one method of creating an illuminated floor, or part of a floor, as well as lighted stairways and pathways. This is a method of creating your very own dance floor at home. The color and intensity of the lighting can be pre-programmed to change in time with dance music. As LEDs remain cool when running the lighting surface should not be hotter than 34 degrees Celsius. The lighting may be used to illuminate a display below the floor such as plants or even a small aquarium.
The floor panels are made from a clear polyethylene plastic (PEP) that can be manufactured with different patterns, such as honeycombs or grids, to further enhance the light show. These are the same types of floor panels that are used for exhibition and hospitality displays. A further advantage is that the floor panels have excellent thermal insulation properties.
The key features of these panels should be:
- Lightweight and translucent
- Scratch resistant
- High load bearing capacity to support a roomful of adults as well as any furniture. Some LEDs can withstand 285 kg walkover pressure. If the lighting is for a pathway or a driveway, some LED designs are able to withstand a vehicle passing over.
- An anti slip polycarbonate coating
- High impact resistant
- Superior light scattering properties
- Easy installation