Home Renovation: Say, Permit Please!

Home Renovation: Say, Permit Please!
  • Opening Intro -

    Are you considering renovating your home?

    If so, your decision may be a sound one, giving you an updated place to live and a home with an increased resale value.

    Permits may be required when undertaking a home renovation.


You may need permission to renovate your home, however. What this means is if you plan to undertake a major renovation or construction project, you may need permits.

State law requirements vary and your local jurisdiction may have additional requirements as well. Certainly, get to know what your state requires, but ultimately you’ll be dealing with one or more local officials when renovating your home.

If you are not certain whether you will need permits, you can get an answer fairly quickly by placing a call to your town’s building department. Explain to the clerk what your plans are to get the answer that applies to you.

Those plans can include rewiring your home, updating the plumbing, painting the exterior of your home, replacing a sidewalk, putting on a new roof, adding a dormer or any other job. Specify your plans and your building department will tell you what permits are needed, if any.

For larger and more extensive projects, your building department may require you to submit blueprints and other documentation, and have your plans reviewed by the planning board. Some boards may be satisfied with a hand drawn sketch while others may require stamped architectural drawings.

Further, you may be required to submit a copy of your property’s plat or plot information, detailing your boundary lines and neighboring properties. You may be required to include the plat with your application along with related sketches. Again, your building department will offer you guidance on what needs to be done.

If the thought of dealing with a building department unnerves you, then you’re worrying needlessly. Smaller projects that need approval are usually easy to handle. Larger jobs, where a contractor is involved, are generally handled by the contractor himself. In any case, once your project is approved you’ll obtain the proper permits, pay some fees and begin your work.

Large projects will most likely entail a visit from a building department official when it is done, who will then issue you a certificate of occupancy allowing you to resume living in your home. The job is done, all fees have been paid and you’re reaping the rewards of your latest home renovation project.

$1.10Bestseller No. 1
The Complete Guide to Building Your Own Greenhouse  Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply (Back-To-Basics)
29 Reviews
$10.40Bestseller No. 2
Applying the Building Code: Step-by-Step Guidance for Design and Building Professionals (Building Codes Illustrated)
7 Reviews
$5.46Bestseller No. 3
DEWALT Building Code Reference: Based on the 2018 International Residential Code (DEWALT Series)
6 Reviews
DEWALT Building Code Reference: Based on the 2018 International Residential Code (DEWALT Series)
  • American Contractor's Exam Services (Author)
  • English (Publication Language)

Last update on 2020-03-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API



directory photos forms guide

Helpful article? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this article within your social networks.

facebook linkedin pinterest

Amazon Affiliate Disclosure: LetsRenovate.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The commission earnings are used to defray our cost of operation.

View our FTC Disclosure for other affiliate information.

Categories: General News

About Author

Matthew C. Keegan

Matt Keegan is a freelance writer and editor as well as publisher of "Auto Trends Magazine", an online publication. Matt covers campus, consumer, business and financial topics on various websites and weblogs, and has been published in the "Houston Chronicle", "Sam's Club Magazine" and "Wisconsin Golfer".