Rain, of course, leads to mud, which in turn leads to mess. That includes messes tracked through your home due to family members wearing dirty boots or carrying drippy umbrellas.
What Not Use a Mud Room
One way to try to contain the mess is to make use of your mud room. This presents a whole different challenge: How do you keep your mud room organized and uncluttered? What kind of mud room storage solutions are needed to ensure things are tidy?
How to Keep Your Mud Room Uncluttered
Ultimately, that depends on the size and layout of your mud room and the ways in which your family uses it. Get creative in how you use the available space, but also think practically.
Here are a few suggestions:
- One thing you’ll want in your mud room is a bench—somewhere people can sit down to take their shoes off. This increases the odds of people actually storing their shoes where they’re supposed to, and may also provide you with some good under-the-bench storage space.
- On that note, one of the simplest and least expensive ways to keep a mud room organized is to invest in some wide, shallow boxes where people can stash their shoes and boots when they’re not in use.
- If you’ve got some electrical outlets nearby, you might consider a small table or platform on which you can mount a recharging station—a great place for people to place their tablets and other mobile devices, keeping them handy.
- Does your mud room have stairs leading into the main part of your home? Some mud rooms, especially those located in the garage area, do—and if so, make sure you make good use of that space, mounting shelves or storage containers as you can.
- Since most mud rooms are small and limited in their storage space, it can be important to think vertically—placing peg boards, storage hooks, or narrow shelving units to help you and your family keep track of all your stuff.
- If you have a little more space to work with, cubbies and cabinets can be great for keeping track of sports gear and school bags.
Has This Article Been Helpful?
Your mud room is what you make of it—and though it’s never going to be the showstopping room in your home, that doesn’t mean you can’t keep it clean and uncluttered. The right organization solutions will get you there.