“photo remodeling” image analysis
copyright image by Pixabay
What do you see in the image above?
Nothing like the kitchens of today:
there are plenty of pic images of gorgeous kitchens with custom built cooking islands and wrap around granite counter spaces. These kitchen layouts are the dreams of many homeowners.
- But these beautiful kitchens are generally the designs of new homes where kitchens have become the focal meeting place for family gatherings and management. If you live in an older home, kitchens styles were much smaller – many of them referred to as galley kitchens or kitchenettes.
- In order to enlarge your small kitchen, you are looking at a major renovation that may include an room extension and/or wall removals. Depending on your current home setup, this type renovation could be cost prohibitive. It might be financially better to sell your existing home and purchase a new one that comes with an enlarged kitchen.
- INFO: Average Cost To Build An Addition
INFO: How Much Does It Cost To Remodel A Kitchen?
So what can you do with a small kitchen or kitchenette:
your current kitchen size may limit on what you LIKE to do – so make it functional. Arrange your countertop space where you have plenty of work space. Keep countertop items to a minimum.
- Some items to consider for small kitchen renovation:
Granite or quartz countertops are what’s in. And for a kitchen this size, it wouldn’t take much investment to install new countertops. It will make your kitchen stand out even with it’s galley size.
- If the cost of granite is too much, then considering “painting” your countertop using a granite countertop paint kit. It will give you the look and feel of granite that comes with a glossy shine. It works perfectly on Formica and laminate counters. And you can select any granite-like style that works best.
- FIND: granite countertop paint kit
FIND: granite countertop sealer
Tuck Away Space Savers:
The countertop is valuable space for small kitchens – so you want to avoid giving up counter space for coffee makers, food processors, mixers and and other countertop items. So if you are looking to upgrade your kitchen, how about installing pop-up counters and other space saving organization.
- YOUTUBE: How Pop-Up Storage Lifts Can Transform Any Kitchen
YOUTUBE: 10 modern pull out & slide kitchen table designs for saving space
- FIND: kitchen cabinet pullout storage
FIND: kitchen drawer organizer
The image above has a stainless steel, drop-in kitchen sink – with a large area for dish drying or other prep work. As you might note, it takes up alot of valuable counter space. A better option is an undermount kitchen sink – where the countertop comes right up to the area where the sink has been mounted below the counter. The undermount maximizes your counter space and makes clean-up easier with rag swoosh from the counter right into the sink.
- Also opt for a high spout kitchen faucet. It functions nicely when placing big pans under the faucet for water fill and clean-up.
- FIND: undermount kitchen sink
FIND: kitchen sink workstation
FIND: high spout kitchen faucet
The paneled board backsplash has to go – it certainly doesn’t match the new look. Some new kitchens extend the granite up the wall as a backsplash. Or you can opt for some nice ceramic tile the blends nicely with your overall kitchen theme.
- FIND: backsplash tile for kitchen
FIND: backsplash tile for kitchen peel and stick
Lighting seems to be an issue – and in small kitchen, you need all of the light you can get. So let there be light for food prep and eating. Some options include a ceiling fan with a lighting source. The advantage of the fan is to keep the area cool while cooking in a small space.
- Another popular option is recessed lighting stationed nicely around the kitchen. Recessed lighting doesn’t take any ceiling space. It will give the lighting you need without crowding your kitchen. It’s a perfect lighting source for small kitchens.
- FIND: kitchen ceiling fan w/ lights
FIND: recessed ceiling
Finally, you need to pick the right colors. Something that is light given the size of the kitchen. You can also coordinate come combination of colors between cabinets and walls. It all depends on the size of the kitchen. You don’t want to feel closed in by selecting a color that darkens the room with such a narrow work area.
- YOUTUBE: paint colors for small kitchens
YOUTUBE: How to Match your Countertops, Cabinets, and Floors
- These are just some of the ideas that you can consider for a small kitchen renovation. Your budget will be the issue. So if money is tight, start with countertops and then follow up with other upgrades when your budget allows.
- IMAGES: renovated galley kitchens
IMAGES: galley kitchens 2020
- INFO: 10 Fantastic Space-Saving Galley Kitchen Ideas
INFO: How to Make the Most of Your Galley Kitchen
Some ideas from the above image:
the kitchen image above has some nice ideas the can work in your small kitchen. Something to consider in your renovation design:
Cooktop W/ In-wall Oven:
Again, utilizing your counterspace for maximum capacity. The countertop surrounds the cooktop with a tight fit. No space in between the countertop that is often associated with a slide-in range. And it’s easier to keep clean – that is important when managing your kitchen.
- So with a cooktop, you will then need a built-in wall oven that will be inserted just below the cooktop. This type of setup is just perfect for your kitchenette renovation.
- FIND: counter inset cooktop
FIND: single wall oven
Very important in any kitchen size – especially for small kitchens. Some experts say you could replace the open window for additional cabinet space. Not a good idea. The windows brings in natural lighting that helps keep an small kitchen opened up. Imagine how closed off you will fill if you remove this window for cabinets. Additionally, you can use the window to grow your own kitchen herb garden.
- INFO: The benefits of incorporating natural light into your kitchen
INFO: 5 Ideas to Bring More Natural Light into Your Kitchen
This kitchen image is most likely using luxury vinyl wood flooring – the perfect solution for kitchens. Real wood just doesn’t work well if you have water spills and high humidity. Other flooring options include tile, bamboo wood and some engineered wood that are water resistant.
- FIND: luxury vinyl wood plank flooring
FIND: ceramic floor tile
we summarized some ideas for a small kitchen renovation. Yes, it would be nice to tear out a wall – or attach an addition that will make your kitchen bigger. But the investment may not justify the cost. So your best renovation option is to maximize countertop space and improve the feel of a bigger kitchen with lighting and undermount sinks and appliances.
- What comments what can you share about this photo idea?
Kitchen Racks & Hooks
For Pantry & Cabinet
or simply search by entering kitchen organization or other kitchen need
other related items of interest:
May We Suggest Some Key Postings About
“Small Kitchen Makeovers”
|5 Storage Ideas For Your Small Kitchen (same win)|
|How to Make an Island Work in a Small Kitchen (same win)|
|5 Smart Small Kitchen Design Tips (same win)|
Find Kitchen Remodeling Services Kitchen Remodeling and Design Cabinets & Countertops Flooring Lighting Design Painting & Staining top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
Cover image credit: summer cooling units by envato.com
end of post … please share it!
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.