What to know about dragon wing begonias –
About Dragon Wing Begonias:
The dragon wing begonia is part of the begonia family but with some distinct differences. One is the shining, dark green leaves that resemble dragon wings that grow out from the stem with tuberculous flowers that come in red and pink. The flower is similar to the begonia flower but larger in size. Two, the dragon wing grows tall and bushy with its stems that can get as high as 18-24 inches.
- The dragon wing begonia make a nice addition to the garden that is situated is a semi-shady, sunny area. They also grow in full shade.
- The dragon and other varying groups of begonias come from tropical regions, so they and their hybrids require warm temperatures and high humidity. Most are forest under-story plants and require bright shade; few will tolerate full sun, especially in warmer climates.
- REFERENCE: information from wikipedia
INFO: american begonia association
Where to Grow Dragon Wing Begonias:
Dragon wings prefer partial shade for maximum growth and flowering. But they will tolerate full sun for a segment of the day (approximately 6+ hours). They do best in morning to -mid-day sun with partial shade in the afternoon.
- The height and spread is about 18-24 inches; so give them plenty or room to spread. They can fill up a large areas of your garden bed with showy leaves and flowers. It has become a favorite for many gardens because of it’s flowering and easy care.
- Dragon wing begonias do not tolerate cold conditions and will die at the first frost. You can bring them in and store them in a dormant area for continue growth into the next season.
- INFO: everything you need to know about dragon wing begonias
INFO: how to grow dragon wing begonias
- IMAGES: dragon wing begonias
IMAGES: angel wing begonias
Garden Planning With Dragon Wings:
Use them as edging plants along sides of the patio, pool or walkway. They will give you a row of seasonal color from summer to fall.
- Plant them in gardens behind other low-growing annuals. The dragon wing will grow to a height of 24 inches. So they make a great mid-size flowers intermixed with low annuals up front and tall annuals and/or perennials in the back. Again, give the dragon wings plenty of room to spread out.
- Dragon wings are perfect for containers – make sure to plant them in a large container so that the dragon wing can spread. They can add color to a deck, patio, driveway or wherever you situate your container garden.
- IMAGES: garden planning using dragon wing begonias along edges
IMAGES: dragon wing begonias in containers
- INFO: dragon wing begonia ideas
INFO: hot combinations using dragon wing begonias
Care and Pruning Dragon Wing Begonia:
Dragon wings are easy to grow and require minimum maintenance. They prefer partial shade, but will tolerate sunny conditions. The soil needs to be moist, but not wet. They can tolerate dry conditions and don’t need to be watered daily.
- The dragon wings will grow tall leggy stems. They can be pruned back just above the stem node for a bushier, flowering plant. Without pruning, the stems will grow tall and snap from the weight of the flowers.
- The dragon wing will bloom all season long from the summer until the first frost. You can bring them inside prior to the frost and keep them dormant over the winter. Or if your live in frost-free zones, maintain them with a litter fertilizer to help them come back in the spring.
- INFO: care instructions for dragon wings
INFO: toughen up your dragon wings
- YOUTUBE: How To Trim Your Dragonwing Begonias!
YOUTUBE: How to care for dragon wings
Harvesting Dragon Wing Begonias:
Dragon wings can be a perennial flower is warmer regions; an annual flower where frost condition exist:
dragon wings can be used in a floral display by adding their beautiful, shining green leaves.
you can harvest dragon wing begonias using stem cuttings that can propagate:
begonia plants – including the flower and leaf – are toxic to animals. They should be avoided and kept from pets:
Edible Or Not:
some parts of the dragon wing begonia have been used in salads and garnishment – they can be edible:
Dragon Wing Begonia Summary:Light: partial sun, full shade
Height: 18-24 inches
Width: 18-24 inches
Flower: red, pink, white
Foliage: lush green
Season: summer to fall
Features: low maintenance, good for containers
Propagation: seed, stem cuttings
INFO: view growing zones
- What comments can you share?
|Supporting Resources (opens new win)|
|ABOUT: dragon wing begonia|
|INFO: dragon wing growing tips|
|PINTEREST: dragon wing begonia garden|
|YOUTUBE: difference angel and dragon wing|
|YOUTUBE: begonia hanging basket|
|Shopping Dragon Wing Begonias (opens new win)|
|AMAZON: live dragon wing|
|AMAZON: dragon wing seed|
|AMAZON: flower planting tools|
Find Landscaping/Maintenance Landscape Design Landscape Maintenance Pest Control Sprinkler Systems Tree & Shrubs Water Features top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
or simply search by entering annual flower name or other remodeling need
other related garden landscaping:
Cover image credit: dragon wing begonias by pixabay
end of post … please share it!
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.