Choose which one can be difficult with so many options. Prefabricated or pre-fab homes are marking their spot in the housing marketing.
Built off-site, a pre-fab building is either constructed holistically or in modules to be assembled later. When researching a future home, today’s buyer’s have heard of modular homes, but remain confused as to what they are.
Advertised as modern and energy efficient, pre-fab homes can be built in as short a time as a few months in a factory setting. A pre-fab home is built with electrical wiring and finishings, wall color choices and windows already in place. Then, delivery is made to the site of the homeowner’s choosing.
Although historically linked with lower quality, that isn’t the case anymore. Companies like Stillwater Dwellings are spread across North America and are making pre-fab homes attractive and modern with open spaces and natural lighting.
Builders are carving a niche by maximizing energy efficiency by recycling materials, utilizing LED lighting and even solar panels. The homeowner may save enough money on energy they may be able to put electricity back into the grid.
Once built, a pre-fab’s modular pieces are moved to the site and assembled. There is no waste in building materials as everything is delivered and installed.
Not unlike building a Lego home, everything is pre-designed to the homeowner’s needs and desires.
An important, but overlooked, advantage is the lack of schedule interference. Hire a builder for a site-built home and weather plays a role.
With pre-fab homes, they are built without weather interruptions and takes less than four months from beginning to end.
Modular homes have been known to have their own set of disadvantages. The material used to build the house may have limited options. The same with layout designs and the flexibility in design available in stick-built homes are lacking.
Pre-fab homes have a stigma of being of lower quality. This can make resale difficult. Modern modular builders are revamping the perception in the marketplace.
Financing may be a challenge. Pre-fab homes are required to be built with a financial plan which differs from mortgage plans connected to traditional houses. Banks still are often unfamiliar with pre-fab construction processes and most payments are required to be made upfront. Banks have even denied some persons the mortgage required to support the building and buying process.
When choosing a construction method for a custom home, be sure to do in-depth research on each of the options available. The right designer and builder will save you cost, avoid design compromise and deliver the feeling of satisfaction when you walk into your finished home.
Spending necessary time on the front end to research builders, methods and local rules will make sure you are prepared to reach the right conclusion to suit your needs.
Image Credit: Pixabay
nice post? … share it!
- MODERN FLOOR LAMP WITH BOOK SHELVES & LED BULB SUITS MANY DECOR STYLES - The Brightech Maxwell is a tall, free standing...
- SKINNY SIDE TABLE aka NARROW NIGHTSTAND IN CONTEMPORARY ASIAN STYLE - FOR BEDROOMS OR LIVING ROOMS - Save floor space:...
- This floor lamp looks great in a living room beside a couch or reading chair, a large end table is spacious enough to...
- USB charging port - USB charging station and application one built-in 5-Volt 1.0 Amp USB port allows you to charge...
- Wonderfully Gentle on the Eyes: Shines a flicker-free light that brightens your space without harming your eyes; ideal...
- Endless Lighting Possibilities: Create the perfect ambience with our LED desk lamp’s unique combination of 5 color...
- COMFORTABLE, WARM GLOW: Standing tripod lamp showcases a modern black finish, elegant stitched faux leather accents and...
- DECORATIVE PIECE FOR ANY LOCATION: Place this bright, stylish floor lamp in any room or decor to complement the style of...
- This beautiful matte black floor lamp houses two bulbs, each with their own pull chain, so you can easily decide how...
- 23"W x 23"D x 60"H
Last update on 2020-07-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API