You may not have the money to spend on top-of-the-line mattresses, but there are choices for most price ranges, and it’s a matter of knowing what to look for. Below are some of the most important factors, according to expert opinions.
Research and budget
The first thing to do before going online or out to look for a mattress is to set a price limit. Having a spending budget in mind when looking around will stop you from being swayed into making purchases you cannot afford and will help you decide which characteristics are most important and which are simply desirable but optional. Add-ons and accessories are great if you have a limitless budget, but remember that the mattress is the most important purchase you’re making. For instance, you shouldn’t choose a worse quality mattress just so you can get certain accessories.
Try online shopping first because going from store to store to compare brands and prices can be very difficult (and the salespeople can be quite persuasive). Look at the options that are available online and their key features and price ranges. Do not attach too much importance to signature brands or names, Rather, pay attention to quality, price and other important features.
If you’re on a very limited budget, see if you can hold out for sale seasons at the local mattress stores. Make a note of the models and numbers which are within your budget and ask for them once you walk into the mattress store. In certain cases, you may find whatever you want isn’t stocked, in which case you can ask to see what they have within the same range and features.
Types of mattresses
- Memory foam/tempur-Pedic mattresses – this is an actual brand name, but has been colloquially accepted to refer to all mattresses which have memory foam, or types of foam that can mold into your body shape as you sleep, providing good support for all your body parts. The mattress gives even pressure on all parts of the body regardless of how you sleep. However, tempur-pedic mattresses can get warm as the night progresses and are therefore not ideal for those who need a cool surface.
- Sleep number beds – these utilize inflatable air pressure chambers within the mattress that can be customize according to how firm you want your sleeping surface to be. At any time, you can increase or decrease the firmness of the mattress. In some models, you can also tilt the mattress up to reclining position, or get sleep number beds with separate chambers for either side of the bed such that you and your partner can enjoy the level of firmness most comfortable for you. However, this kind of beds are quite expensive.
- View our sleep directory: bedroom mattress and bed linens
- Firm versus plush – these are words that define how hard or soft a mattress is respectively, from extra firm and firm to plush and extra plush. You can get mattresses of many kinds in between these descriptors, depending on what’s most comfortable for you. Even plush mattresses are designed to feel soft but provide adequate support to your frame as you sleep.
Mattress manufacturers and retailers like City Mattress Lancaster NY have tones of names, brands and choices of mattress to test and choose from.
Help us spread this article with a quick “comment/share” to your friends and family.
- FEEL THE DIFFERENCE - Sleep better and wake up each morning feeling refreshed and full of energy. Silky soft, most...
- Queen Size Luxury 4pc Bed Sheets Set - 1 flat sheet 102"x90", 1 fitted sheet 80"x60", 2 pillowcases 20"x30". Deep pocket...
- LIMITED TIME FREE BONUS: Our Luxury 6pc Sheet Set includes 2 BONUS PILLOWCASES free with purchase for a total of 4...
- 5 STAR HOTEL BEDDING EXPERIENCE: Luxuriously soft & Remarkably Durable our Hotel Style Sheet Set is crafted from ULTRA...
- PERFECT FIT EVERYTIME GUARANTEED: Deep Pockets fits mattresses to 16'"; with fully elasticized fitted sheet! Queen Size...
- LUXURY YOU CAN SEE AND FEEL: Create a welcoming environment and a restful feeling in the bedroom with this TOP QUALITY...
Last update on 2020-07-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API