first “tips to get ready for spring renovations” idea
copyright image by Pixabay
- We will walk you through the common differences between two major window types (wood and vinyl). Since each window type has unique characteristics, knowing the difference can make you select a perfect material for your home.
Energy efficiency is one of many people’s significant factors when shopping for windows for replacement or repair. Generally, both wood and vinyl windows are energy efficient.
- However, wood windows are slightly more efficient when properly installed. Because of their insulation, they can inhibit the transfer of heat and cold. However, in order to realize this effect fully, proper maintenance is mandatory.
- It is worth noting, however, that vinyl windows are more affordable upfront, making it a better option for those on a limited budget.
image by 123rf.com
view the difference between wood vs. vinyl windows; and what makes a window energy efficient:
It goes without saying that the appearance of your windows can change the aesthetic appeal of your home. For this reason, many homeowners are very particular about appearance and design options.
- Comparatively, wood windows have several design options that you may not be able to achieve through its vinyl counterparts.
- First, wood exists in a variety of species such as pine, cedar, and mahogany, to name a few. Plus, wood can be stained or painted with any color that matches your taste.
- If you have an old or historic home, you may want to consider wood windows for that extra touch of authenticity.
- While vinyl windows are also good-looking, they can have limited design options at times. Another factor to consider is that most vinyl windows have smooth finishing, which influences their look and functionality.
- If you are going for a sleek, modern look, vinyl windows will give you just that.
image by twenty20.com
About Window Styles:
There are many reasons one may have to look at new window styles for home. Most of the time, it’s because the homeowner is tired of getting expensive utility bills in the mail. Replacing your windows is a great way to make your house more energy-efficient.
It can also be a design choice. While those single-pane windows in your kitchen serve their purpose and let natural light in, they’re not that aesthetically pleasing.
You can afford to move up in the world a little. The problem is figuring out what to replace them with. We’ve got a list of modern window styles for homes that you’re sure to love!
When looking for a window replacement option that’s easy to install, then vinyl will take the lead.
- This is because they are designed to be popped in and out of the frame with ease. As such, if you are a do-it-yourself enthusiast, you won’t have a challenge installing them.
- On the other hand, Wood windows take a longer time to install. Also, you need to nail the frame and know how to use wood stain, which requires some technical skills.
Cost of Maintenance:
The cost of maintaining the windows is one factor you can’t ignore. Note that it is through proper maintenance that your windows can serve you effectively until their full lifespan.
- Wood windows are hard to maintain. First, you will have to repaint them every 3-4 years. Also, they are more prone to weather damage than vinyl. Vinyl windows are easy to clean and maintain.
- Since they have a smooth surface, you can quickly wipe them with a wet rag. What’s more, the vinyl is weather-resistant, hence recommended in extreme weather-prone areas.
Make Sure to Grab This:
use this sheet to list and evaluate window contractors including licensing, references, and more:
When thinking of window replacement or repair, the two top materials that will come to mind are wood and vinyl. These materials vary widely and each have their benefits and drawbacks.
- Take Your specific needs and preferences into account as you make this decision. Making this decision can be challenging—use the above-mentioned comparisons for assistance in making a rational decision.
Quirk scroll to more home structure needs …
ideas to view and compare from the photo above
- What comments can you share about
planning time to get ready for spring renovations?
Find Home Window Services Windows – Install Window Tinting Windows – Cleaning Window Treatments top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
Cover image credit: wood vs vinyl windows by Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
or simply search by window type or other home structure need
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.