copyright image by https://pixabay.com/
April 16 – Emancipation Day
- Today is Emancipation Day; celebrated exclusively in the District of Columbia (Washington DC).
- It was on April 16, 1862 that President Lincoln signed the Compensated Emancipation Act.
- This act freed more than 3000 slaves that were living within the District.
- It was the start of other proclamations and a constitutional amendment that led to the
abolishment of slavery in the United States.
- What comments can you share?
other related items of interest
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.