What can you do to ensure that you make the right decision when you go out shopping for furniture?
Here are some DO’S and DON’TS of buying furniture:
1: Do lay out the measurements of the furniture piece
If you are shopping in person, have a layout of your desired piece. You can use painter’s tape (doesn’t damage the floor) to lay out items on your floor. When you have the exact length and width of the furniture piece, you are sure to take home something that will fit well in the available space.
2: Do test out furniture before purchasing
Whenever possible, inspect any furniture piece while it is still at the store. If it’s a chair, sit on it, lie down, do whatever to check its sturdiness.
Push that table to check that it doesn’t wobble and pull and push drawers of a desk to see how smoothly they slide. Just make sure that the piece you are about to buy doesn’t have any flaws.
3: Consider your lifestyle, ease of cleaning and maintenance
Your lifestyle can limit the type of furniture you use in your home. If you have children and/or pets and want to buy a sofa, for example, you are going to choose an appropriate fabric – maybe one that doesn’t get dirty easily and is easy to clean.
In case any of your family members has certain allergies, you will probably consider synthetic fabrics. Every furniture piece requires some level of cleaning and maintenance. Can you handle it? How much will it cost to have the furniture cleaned regularly?
And then there are the DON’TS.
1: Don’t trust images for accuracy
- The attractive images of the furniture you want to buy can make you buy a piece even before actually reading the details of such a piece. Take your time to read the description of every furniture piece before buying it. You will know much more than an image can tell – such as the firmness of a cushion, how the color could blend in the homes décor, and so on.
2: Don’t overlook quality because of price
Buying any accessory on budget is wise and trying to get a good deal is probably what everyone aims for when they set out to buy anything. But price should never on top of your priority list when buying furniture. Cheap is expensive in the long-run. This statement can never be clearer that when considering furniture.
Cheap furniture pieces are made of weak material that won’t last long. When you choose a cheap piece, you will be forced to spend more in repairs pretty soon. Have a high-quality furniture piece from the word go and you’ll avoid all the headaches of dealing with cheap accessories.
3: Don’t buy if it feels flimsy
Today, the furniture market is full of pieces marketed as lightweight, minimalist, highly portable and what have you. Be careful when purchasing such furniture so as not to bring home something that is not well-built.
Beware of extra lightweight pieces especially because there a pretty good chance that they are not sturdy and may have been made from low-quality materials.
The next time you are buying furniture, consider the above shopping elements and you will be happy with your purchase.
Image Credit: Pixabay
nice post? … share it!
- CONVENIENTLY CHARGE YOUR ELECTRONIC DEVICES: This decorative table lamp contains a USB port so that you can charge your...
- UNIQUE MODERN STYLE WITH FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: The Maxwell Side Table & Desk Lamp combines modern looks with contemporary...
- 【Perfect Size and Save Space】 The desktop lamp, 16.9"(H) x 5.9"(W), with 74 inches power cord allows you to place...
- 【Simple Design】 The office lamp is designed with high-quality metal frame and wooden base provides an elegant...
- Size: Diameter: 9.06", Hight: 15.75". Please note the size before purchasing.
- Input: AC 110V - 120V. Lamp Can be used with CFL, LED, Incandescent Medium base bulbs(not included)
- Matte Black finish
- Clear glass shade; Shade diameter: 5.00 inches
- Bring a fun illusion into your home with this distinctive modern lamp. A round, milky-white glass shade rests on an...
- 8" Diameter x 21.5"H
Last update on 2019-04-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API