While no one knows what lies behind a wall before opening it up, there are risks with a home remodel; however, proper planning can help prevent issues and keep costs down.
Improper wiring is the cause of thousands of home fires and can result in loss of life. Older homes may have outdated wiring such as knob and tube, while homes of any age may have ungrounded wiring due to inexperienced individuals attempting to complete projects or an outdated electrical system lacking updated standards.
While one may look for cost savings during a home remodel, attempting to complete electrical work without the proper training and license is an unnecessary risk. In addition to having work completed properly, it also is important to use the correct materials to support the amount of electricity traveling across the circuit.
Companies like Americord have large selections of different types of wiring with different loads, so it’s important to choose the right type and quality for your project.
This is not an area to skimp on; the risks are far too great.
Homes built prior to 1975 often have asbestos found in pipes, insulation, duct work, siding, wall and ceiling spackling, and linoleum flooring. When these old materials are removed during the demolition phase of a home remodel, the asbestos particles become airborne and can contaminate the home.
When inhaled, asbestos is serious and can be fatal. Before beginning the demolition phase in an older home, it is advisable to hire a licensed professional to inspect and test the materials. If asbestos is found, a licensed professional should be hired to properly complete the demolition work and remove the asbestos-ridden materials. Asbestos mitigation can be costly and should be accounted for in a budget.
|find a local, top-rated testing & abatement services|
Kitchens and bathrooms are the most popular home remodel projects. These rooms contain appliances and features that involve water. When flooring and walls are torn out, mold may be found, regardless of the age of the home. If it is found, it must be properly treated as mold spores can continue to grow and spread.
Mold is a health hazard, and while it can be killed with bleach solution, live and dead mold spores can be toxic when breathed in daily. Rather than relying on cleaning a molded area, all wood, insulation, and materials containing mold should be removed and replaced before proceeding with a remodel project. Large areas of mold contamination should be handled by a licensed professional to ensure proper treatment.
By properly inspecting the area that is being remodeled prior to and during the demolition phase, these issues can be quickly discovered and properly handled. Using proper materials and having work completed by trained and licensed professionals will allow the homeowner to fully enjoy the remodel for many years.